Salespeople don’t mean to get comfortable or be lazy. It just happens. This article gives you 11, powerful steps to take to empower your salespeople, even if it's just you.
When salespeople can’t or won’t perform at the highest possible level, it can get very frustrating for business owners and leaders. If you’re a business owner and in charge of your own sales and marketing investments, you may be frustrated with the salespeople you employ, or you may be frustrated with yourself.
So what's it going to take for you to get your sales into a higher gear?
Sales Is A Contact Sport
When I analyze sales organizations, pipelines, processes and follow up activities, the #1 thing that breaks down is the volume of sales activity. It’s not the sales script, or crappy leads, or a lame territory that typically holds people back. It’s behavior, or lack thereof. Have you ever met a salesperson who didn't like making sales calls? I have and it's not fun.
The fastest way to shift the sales mindset, behavior and habits combines training and coaching salespeople. You need a process to follow that helps you stay focused on the goal - take the actions that produce better sales results.
Here’s the process I teach in my workshops and coaching programs. It’s all about focusing on consistent, daily behavior and staying laser-focused on your sales goal.
- Desire a better result. It’s that simple; want it! Desire is not the root of getting new customers or growing a business. It’s the shifting point.
- Decide and commit. Make a commitment to yourself, or your team if you manage salespeople. Decide if this is something that you really want to achieve.
- Set up a sales meeting. If it’s just you, block up to an hour of time. Or, invite your key sales people to. Follow the agenda elements below and set the pace for new results.
- Restate your company vision. After you welcome everyone, state the purpose of the sales meeting - to talk about the team, sales results and implementing a new plan of ACTION for everyone. This is when you tell your entire team what you see for your business over the months ahead.
- Restate the strategy. Make your strategy very clear to everyone. Hopefully you have a plan of action that details your strategy and the action steps you need to take. If not, connect with me and I’ll send you one.
- Restate your purpose - the mission. Share a clear purpose (mission) statement. Purpose is bigger and more bod than a typical mission statement. It’s what your brand and marketing story is all about - what you do best. It’s the song your people sing every day with prospects and customers. Purpose is a massive part of your company culture. Purpose powers your why, and nothing can stop you.
- Put the right process and systems in place. People who follow clear processes and have the right tools produce results. Systems include Customer Relationship Management or CRM, your marketing content and marketing automation that empowers your people to do what they do best - interact with well-qualified prospects and create revenue.
- Attract, engage, nurture and convert your best prospects. Always identify and segment your top prospects for active, appropriate follow up. Give your sales people the marketing materials and content they need to close deals. Dial in your website, free downloads, online courses, testimonials, white papers, videos, email templates, personalized landing pages, brochures, trade show materials, etc.
- Manage your pipeline. Spell out five sales stages (keep it simple) it takes for your team to convert a prospect into a happy, paying customer. Most companies don’t have these stages clearly outlined for the team, and there’s no dashboard that keeps everyone focused on the end goal; sales results.
- Keep everyone accountable. Every high-performing team includes people who know how to do their part really well. Accountability and commitment is the glue the for every great team; be and hold everyone accountable to their part of the plan.
- Measure, learn from the failures, celebrate. Business, sales and marketing is a game of failing forward. Small companies grow into big companies by measuring results, reviewing their plan, learning from mistakes and celebrating the wins.
There it is - my 11 step process to empower comfortable salespeople, even if it’s just you. This is a simple process that works if you work it. And remember, why would you stop working a process that helps you and your salespeople find more customers?
Test Drive for Performance
Take my sales process for a spin. See how it works. If you feel like you’re in over your head with sales and sales management, fear not. I’m here to help you if you have any questions. Check out my YouTube channel and other articles on the blog.
Trust me when I tell you that these steps have helped hundreds of small business owners and top-producing corporate sales superstars to reinvigorate their sales production, especially if they’ve been in the game for a while and find themselves a little too comfortable.
Set the stage for new sales success starting now. Commit to raising the bar, follow the steps and get ready to celebrate the victory if you do the work suggested.
I always appreciate your comments and questions here on the blog.
If you're feeling stuck with sales, connect with me for an ROI Strategy Session.